Since its creation in 1981 the Yannis Tsarouchis Foundation has organised a number of exhibitions and events. Since 1992, after the inventory of paintings and objects was completed, the Museum has been functioning on a permanent basis.
Exhibitions held in the Yannis Tsarouchis Foundation
– 1982: First exhibition at the Foundation: paintings from the first donation by Tsarouchis (May 1982)
– 1983-1984: Second exhibition of paintings from the first donation by Tsarouchis (November 1983-January 1984)
– 1984-1985: Exhibition of posters of Sotiris Spatharis and Dedousaros from the Foundation Collection and paintings by Tsarouchis inspired by the subject matter of Karagiozis posters (14/5-13/6/1984 and June 1985)
During this exhibition, Evgenios Spatharis gave performances in the Foundation garden.
– 1986-1987: Paintings by Yannis Tsarouchis from 1939- 1985
– 1987-1988: Tsarouchis and time, Zeimbekika, Models of the Café Florian by Fabio Palamidese
– 1988-1989: Sailors and the Sacrifice of Iphigenia, Landscapes – imaginary and real
– 1992-1997: Yannis Tsarouchis Painting (5/1992-6/1997)
Temporary exhibitions during above exhibitions
– 1994: Short Christmas exhibition with the Christmas cradle. Models on Christmas themes, two of which were donated to the Foundation by Dionysis Fotopoulos on the occasion of this exhibition
– 1995: Short Christmas exhibition with the Christmas cradle, angels and Christmas decorations
– 1996: Tree with angels made by Yannis Tsarouchis
– 1997: Karagiozis in the work of Yannis Tsarouchis
During the exhibition, Evgenios Spatharis gave a performance of The Impaling of Athanasios Diakos, with the apotheosis enacted live by Evgenios and other actors at the end in front of the screen. Domna Samiou and her group also took part in the performance. Sponsor: Niki A.E. Marinopoulos.
– 1998: Paintings by Yannis Tsarouchis from the decade 1960- 1970
– 2000: Painting and theatre, Parallel Paths
– 2003: Studies and Variations
Twelve subjects were selected from the painter’s repertoire, including: The Sacrifice of Iphigenia, Departure with an oval mirror, Youth wearing pyjamas posing as a statue from Olympia, Small and Large Beach, and others. These are shown at every stage of development, from the first sketch, drawings, water- colours, to the final paintings and variations, and accompanied by the related archival material.
Exhibitions jointly organised by the Yannis Tsarouchis Foundation in other venues
– 1981: Γιάννης Τσαρούχης, honorary exhibition, Spanish Cultural Foundation of Athens, Spanish Embassy
– 1988: Yannis Tsarouchis: Maquettes of stage designs and costumes, Museum of Ancient Greek and Cycladic Art, Nikolaos P. Goulandris Foundation
– 1990: Hommage a Tsarouchis, French Institute of Athens (16/5-15/6/1990)
– 1991: Costumes by Yannis Tsarouchis, Zoumboulakis Gallery
– 1992: Mementoes, Zoumboulakis Gallery
– 1993: Exhibition of Yannis Tsarouchis, Markopoulos Municipality Cultural Centre
– 1993: The Piraeus of Yannis Tsarouchis, French Institute of Piraeus
– 1995: Parthenis, Tsarouchis, Gikas, Moralis, Municipal Arts Centre of Nicosia, Cyprus, in collaboration with the National Art Gallery-Alexandros Soutsos Museum, Athens (13/10-15/11/1995)
– 2000: Between East and West, Syngrou-Fix Museum of Modern Art in collaboration with Attiko Metro and the Hellenic Ministry of Culture (24/2-3/6/2000)
– 2001: Im Spiegel der Freiheit, Tsarouchis, Antonakos, Hadjimichalis, Kunsthalle, Frankfurt (4-28/10/2001)
– 2002: Lila de Nobili – Yannis Tsarouchis, an Encounter, Benaki Museum (26/6-27/7/2002)
– 2004: Yannis Tsarouchis, Painting and Theatre, Parallel Paths, Cultural Centre of Patras in collaboration with the National Bank of Greece Cultural Foundation
Exhibitions for which the Foundation loaned works
– 1981: Retrospective Exhibition of Yannis Tsarouchis, 1928-1981, Macedonian Centre of Modern Art, Thessaloniki Archaeological Museum (November 1981)
– 1986: At the premiere of the performance of the play Electra an exhibition was held in the foyer of the Theatre Nationale Populaire in Paris with photographs of maquettes of stage designs by Yannis Tsarouchis
– 1987: Participation in the Pan-Hellenic Artistic Exhibition in Piraeus
– 1990: Achievements ’90, contribution of the alumni of the First High School to science and art, Athens Municipality Cultural Centre (22-30/11/1990)
– 1992: Metamorphoses of the Modern, the Greek Experience, National Art Gallery – Alexandros Soutsos Museum, Athens (14/5-13/9/1992)
– 1994: The Greeks at Sea and Piraeus, Greek Yacht Club (5-12/6/1994)
– 1997: Tsarouchis – Peinture et gouaches, Gallerie Claude Bernard, Paris (6-31/5/1997)
– 1997: Stage designs for Ancient Greek Drama by visual artists, European Cultural Centre of Delphi (15/7-30/8/1997)
– 1997: 20 years of Panhellenic Cultural Activity, Gazi, Municipality of Athens (8/11-18/11/1997)
– 1998-1999: Moralis, Tsarouchis, Gikas, Painting for the theatre, Athens Concert Hall (11/1998-1/1999), Macedonian Museum of Modern Art, Thessaloniki (6/2-30/4/1999)
– 1998: The Fayum portraits and the generation of 1930 in search of the Greek Identity, Benaki Museum (24/6-26/7/1998)
– 1998: Ideal and Reality, the image of the body in 20th century Art from Bonnard to Warho”, Ruppertinum Salzburg, Austria (18/7-27/9/1998)
– 1999: An exhibition on the ancient theatre, Greek Parliament Building (5/10-5/12/1999)
– 2000: Classical Memories in Modern Greek Art, Cultural Centre of the Alexandros S. Onassis Charity Foundation, Olympic Tower, New York (24/10/2000-21/1/2001), Ataturk Cultural Centre, Sakip Sabanci Museum, Istanbul (25/5/2003- 27/6/2003)
– 2000-2007: Permanent Collection, National Art Gallery – Alexandros Soutsos Museum, Athens (13/11/2000- 23/9/2003)
– 2002: The birth of Modern Greek Painting, 1830-1930, from the Collection of the Bank of Greece, Federal Bank, Washington (3/10-3/12/2002), Athens Concert Hall (18/2-30/3/2003)
– 2002-2003: Kondoglou and his pupils, Municipal Art Gallery of Thessaloniki, Casa Bianca (5/10-3/11/2002), Heraklion Municipal Art Gallery (10/12/2002- 15/2/2003)
– 2003: The heritage of Apollo, European Cultural Centre of Delphi (4-31/7/2003)
– 2004: The Nude, Ideal and Reality, Bologna, Galleria d’ Arte Moderna (22/1-9/5/2004)
– 2004: The Olympic spirit and modern Greek art, Athens Municipality Cultural Centre (6/5-30/6/2004)
– 2006: Damiani, De Nobili, Tosi, Scene e costume, Tre grandi artisti del XX secolo, L’Accademia di Francia a Roma, Villa Medici, Rome
– 2006-2007: Athens-Paris, National Art Gallery – Alexandros Soutsos Museum, Athens (20/12/2006- 31/3/2007)
Events held at the Yannis Tsarouchis Foundation
– 1994: One-day conference on the 5th anniversary of the death of Yannis Tsarouchis. The speakers were Yorgos Mavroidis, Matthaios Moundes, Marina Lambraki-Plaka, Victor Melas and Ioanna Papandoniou
– 1996: Event jointly organised with the Municipality of Marousi Cultural Centre.
Lectures on the writing of Yannis Tsarouchis were given by Maria Karavia and Thanasis Niarchos. Texts by Tsarouchis were read by Mimis Kouyoumtzis.
– 1996-1997: Public guided tours of the premises of the Foundation, led by well-known painters (Dimosthenis Kokkinidis, Panayiotis Tetsis, and Alekos Fasianos)
– 1997: Lecture by the ethnomusicologist Lambros Liavas on The music of the white sheet, the acoustic world of Karagiozis.
– 2003 – International museum day: Museums and friends of Museums: public discussion between the artist’s friends and the museum, and a guided tour to the exhibition. Amongst the artists present were Dimosthenis Kokkinidis, Spyros Koursaris, Alekos Levidis, Pavlos Samios, and Evgenios Spatharis.